Gist of the matter is just three point.
- Tamilnadu operates the dam in Kerala. wants to increase water level in it.
- Kerala worries that dam will get destroyed anytime soon due to old age or earthquake. Hence enacted a law to decrease water level in it.
- Supreme court says Kerala law is wrong, Tamilnadu is right.
What is mullaiperiyar ?
- Type: a masonry gravity dam.
- River: confluence of Periyar river and Mullayar river.
- Architect: col. John pennycuick
- place: Thekkady, Kerala. The dam site is in Kerala but is leased to TN
- Provides irrigation to South Tamil Nadu (~2 lakh acres)
- Periyar river originates from Ananamalai Hills and Joins sea near Ernakulam
- TN has right to utilise and maintain the dam.
Timeline: of the Mullaiperiyar dam
|1970||Governments of Kerala and Tamilnadu ratified this agreement.
In mid-70s, Kerala became worried about leakage from the dam and wanted Tamilnadu to repair it.
Kerala govt. communicated with union. Union government directed Tamilnadu state government to Repair this dam.Keep water level in the dam at 145 feet.Now, Union believed there is no longer any danger to the structure.
- 2006: SC allowed Tamilandu to raise water height to 152 feet after strengthening the dam. (Total height of the dam is 176 feet).But Kerala passed a law the Kerala Irrigation and Water Conservation (Amendment) Act, 2006, to prevent the neighboring State (TN) from raising the water level beyond 136 feet.
- Tamilnadu challenged Kerala’s dam height law in Supreme court.
|Kerala’s stand||Tamilnadu’s stand|
||Without raising water level in this dam, we cannot sustain our agriculture and drinking water requirement.|
|this 119 year old dam poses danger to life and property nearly 4 million people downstream||We’ve done adequate work to strengthen the dam structure.|
|There was a minor earthquake near dam site. Infact, we want to reduce water level further to 120 feet.||Tremors were very minor. No danger to dam.|
|2010: Kerala demanded that entire dam be dismantled and we construct a new, stronger dam. (Kerala was ready to pay entire expense)||Disagreed. For it’ll take lot time to setup new dam, what about the farm-irrigation in the meantime?|
2010: Justice Anand Committee says dam is safe. Mullaiperiyar dam poses no danger to idduki dam.
May 2014: Supreme Court order
- Kerala dam Law of 2006 is unconstitutional and void.
- Because Mullaiperiyar is a dispute between two states. In such disputes, one state legislature cannot unilaterally enact law in its own favor.
- Besides, in 2006 we had allowed Tamilandu to raise water height. By enacting this law, Kerala is interfering with our judicial function.Permitted Tamilnadu to increase water level upto 142 feet. (present ~136ft)
- Union government decided to setup a Committee to supervise this water rising.
- Kerala planning to file a review petition in SC.
- Kerala assembly requested President of India to refer the matter to the Supreme Court under Article 143